Updated: Aug 2, 2018
Give me all things Joanna Gaines! I finally broke down and purchased her cookbook at Target and SO glad I did. Mama, do yourself a favor and go grab this one!! I love an easy breakfast casserole and it's always an added bonus when I can whip them up the night before. This is similar to a casserole recipe I used in the past that I found on Pinterest, but this one takes the cake, hands down. Tons of flavor and so simple. Top it off with some salsa for a southwestern vibe. My hubby and dad loved this one - #momforthewin
Vegetable Oil Spray
1lb loose breakfast sausage (I used Jimmy Dean - Maple)
One 32-ounce bag frozen diced hash brown potatoes
8 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of ground sage
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper (I substituted for fresh ground black pepper)
One 8 oz bag Sharp Cheddar cheese
Garnish with minced Chives
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 inch baking dish with vegetable oil.
2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned, breaking it up with the side of a spoon.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, garlic powder, paprika, sage, salt and ground pepper. Whisk in the sharp cheddar. Stir in the sausage/hash brown mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake until the top is browned and the center is set, about 45 minutes (this was right on the mark for me).
6. Remove from the oven and garnish with chives before serving.
7. The casserole is best served the same day it is baked. Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.